Prior to Kaleva Norman Dickson schools, as they are known currently, Kaleva had a school that serviced the area, called Kaleva School.
The first school in the village was built in 1904; it was a primary school with only two teachers, the cement block building burned in the fall of 1912. To read more about the history of Kaleva School, click here.
To read the article about the 100th Anniversary of Kaleva School, click here.
The Kaleva Bank Robbery
The facts: At 11:15 on the morning of Thursday, January 5, 1933 four men pulled up to the Kaleva State Bank in a Buick sedan. Three men got out, entered the bank and drew their weapons. One of the robbers approached cashier Ellsworth Billman and demanded money. One of the robbers shot Billman and killed him while the robbers fled the bank and left with $2,800. In the ensuing days, the Michigan State Police, City Police, citizen groups and the Manistee County Vigilante Force played an integral part in the manhunt to apprehend the robbers. The robbers were found after three days in the Colfax Swamp in Oceana County.
Click on the articles below to read the full story, featured in the Manistee News Advocate.
The History of Kaleva
The village first became known as Kaleva when the Michigan Land Society secured a Finnish land agent by the name of Jacob Saari from Brooklyn, New York, to sell land in this vicinity and induce Finnish people to make a settlement here. In 1900 Mr. Saari moved here and with him came John Haksluoto who built a home.
To read the full article by E.H. Puustinen, daughter of John Haksluoto, click here.
Additional stories about the Kaleva Bank Robbery: